What is a Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport?
The form DS 11: Application for a U.S. Passport, as the name suggests, is filled and submitted to apply for a U.S. passport. It is mainly used while traveling outside the country. It is also used as a primary identity proof and holds that you are a U.S. citizen.
The form can be submitted by appointment to a designated office or your nearest passport facility. If you are abroad and willing to apply for a U.S. passport, you can visit the U.S. embassy in that country.
Information required on a Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
All the information required for the application of a U.S. Passport is related to the identity and citizenship of the applicant. Some of the documents are:
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship
- Proof of Identity
- A U.S. Birth Certificate with details such as date and place of birth
- A Recent Color Photograph
How to Fill Out a Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
Obtain the form DS 11 from authorized sources by paying the fee. It could be online as well as offline. To pick up the form in person, you can visit the nearest Passport office or a place designated as one. You can also skip the queues and the crowd by downloading and printing the form online from any authorized website.
There is a certain fee applicable while applying for a passport. It is legally regulated.
To begin with, it is imperative to understand that the form shall contain details about the applicant that will prove his identity to the authorities. Therefore, cautiousness at all times is advised.
- At the top of the form, select the option for which you are applying.
- Fill in your full name. (Check the spelling twice since it will be an official document).
- Write your date of birth, sex and place of birth.
- Mention your Social Security Number.
- Move on to writing your email ID, your contact number and detailed address which will be used by the passport authority to send documents.
- If you have changed your birth name in the past, mention the names that you have used and attach relevant documents supporting the same.
- The second half section of the first page has to be filled under the supervision of an authorized passport agent. Carry the required documents and follow their instructions.
- Move on to the second page, fill in your mother’s and father’s details. Their names, their date & place of birth, their sex, and their U.S. citizenship status.
- In the next part, mention your marital status. Detail out your spouse’s name, date of birth, place of birth, sex, and U.S. citizenship status.
- Mention if you have been divorced or widowed.
- Move on to mention your contact number, your occupation, and your school or employer details, whichever is applicable to you.
- State your personal attributes such as your height, hair color, and eye color.
- If you are applying for a passport due to an upcoming travel plan, mention its details.
- Write your complete address State your emergency contact and their details including their relationship with you.
- If you have ever been issued a passport before, mention the issuing date, the passport number, and its current status.
It is always suggested that you keep a copy of Form DS 11 for yourself.
What is the Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport Used for?
A U.S. passport is mainly used to travel outside the country and as proof that the individual is a U.S. citizen.
The form requires intricate personal details of the applicant and could have legal implications, it should always have the correct information on it. Therefore, cautiousness while filling it out is advised.